Sunday, March 24, 2013

Our Great Wall Of China!

The next room I would like to invite you to is the dinning room.  (Although there have been changes in the eat in part of the kitchen since our last visit!)   Not a lot of organizing tips in here to share but I can show you how I can mange to keep all the dishes I love and not appear too cluttered. You may feel otherwise but it works for us.  To start with I will have to tell you how the color scheme as well as the huge built in cupboard came to be.
   When I was a little girl at the age of 8 I told my Non Non I loved her pretty blue dishes and asked when I grew up could I have them. (  I told you how I inherited my love for dishes from her in an earlier post. )  Now bear in mind that these were her everyday dishes that we were eating off at that time.      She packed them away that day and and gave them to me as a wedding gift!  I cannot tell you how much they mean to me.  All the more shocking is that they are still my taste!  (I wouldn't want to use a lot of the things I loved as a child!)  But these dishes sparked a passion for collecting in me.  I get a warm fuzzy looking at them remembering meals eaten from them at my Grandmothers table. She was an awesome cook!  They are blue and white Staffordshire transfer ware by Clarice Cliff.  I added to the original set over the years but know the ones that came from Non Non's house.  I planned the whole dinning room with them being the star!  Choosing the color for the walls and cupboard  to compliment them.   When I asked Mike to build the big cupboard, he  asked this big?  I would reply " bigger!" Until he built it as big as would fit.  His brother saw it and teased us calling it the "great wall of china!!"



 This is a room all about family, from Non Non's dishes to all of the meals we share there.  We will cram as many chairs as we possibly can squeeze around the table so that we can eat and pray together.  Making memories for my family!   I hope Mollie, my gran daughter, say's to me someday......Nonny, I love your dishes!








 Good storage for other antique china!




 The corner cupboard is the oldest antique we own circa 1790 and houses another problem, I mean collection!
This little jelly cupboard is a cherry reproduction built by the same man we commissioned to build our bed.   It holds my Grandchildren Mollie and Andrew's snacks.

Thanks for coming back and allowing me to share what keeps my heart in home!  Be it ever so humble there truly is no place else like it!



 

9 comments:

  1. Hi, Debb, I love everything about your dining room! Your staffordshire dishes, the table and chairs, corner cupboard, chandelier, pictures...it is all wonderful. I also noticed your beautiful bead board walls. Your darling grandchildren look ready for spring... it is snowing here in Ohio :(
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Non Non would be so proud of how you display her china. I can just hear her, can't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treasure those dishes are! I have a few things from my grandmother too that I will always cherish! Thanks for sharing, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know that I love your dining room, and as beautiful as the big china cabinet with your Grandmother's dishes is, that corner cabinet is what makes my heart go pitter patter! I love that! Such sweet pictures of Andrew and Mollie! Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning
    What beautiful china you have.
    I love your home too.
    You have the sweetest Granny loves.
    I so enjoy seeing them over at your moms blog.
    Woolie Joy
    Trace

    ReplyDelete
  6. I became a follower, too, from your mom's blog. I sooo enjoy your posts and visits with your family. I envy the closeness you have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was so excited to see Andrew go forward this morning!! I love that little feller :-) Well, I love you ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s a classic great for me to go to this blog site, it offers helpful suggestions

    great deals online

    ReplyDelete